JAMIE OLIVER'S VEGGIE CAESAR SALAD
FROM JAMIE OLIVER'S RESTAURANT
Veggie Caesar salad
This is a delicious twist on the classic Caesar salad. Bella Lodi is very similar to Parmesan but it doesn’t contain rennet – if you’re not vegetarian, go with whatever you can find.
1 romaine lettuce
1 red chicory
½ a small red onion
4 sprigs of fresh chervil
4 sprigs of fresh red basil
extra virgin olive oil
20g Bella Lodi cheese
2 cloves of garlic
10g Bella Lodi cheese
250g natural yoghurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
2. Tear the ciabatta into bite-sized pieces, place on a baking tray, then drizzle with olive oil. Place in the hot oven for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
3. Tip the hazelnuts onto another small baking tray, then place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden.
4. Make the Caesar dressing. Peel and crush the garlic into a bowl, finely grate in the cheese, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Set aside.
5. Remove the ciabatta and hazelnuts from the oven. Bash the nuts in a pestle and mortar, then set aside.
6. Click off any tatty outer leaves from the romaine lettuce, then shred. Click off the chicory leaves.
7. Using a mandolin, peel and very finely slice the onion, then finely shave the cauliflower.
8. Place the veg and ciabatta croutons into a bowl, stir in the Caesar dressing, then season to taste.
9. Transfer to a serving platter, scatter over the hazelnuts and pick the herb leaves on top. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and shavings of Bella Lodi.